2018 Shuhari Cup
We are excited to announce our 3rd Annual Shuhari Cup in Atlanta, Georgia, featuring athletes from across the US, Canada, and more. Hosted by the Shuhari Institute and Jinsendo Karate, this is an excellent competition alternative for traditional karateka seeking high-level competitors, experienced judges, and no affiliation requirements. As always, it is open to all traditional styles, ranks, and affiliations.
The event includes both Youth (age 6-17) and Adult Tournaments for all ranks and a Judge’s Seminar hosted by experienced international judges.
We will be using traditional karate rules. Kata competitors should come prepared to perform any 2 traditional kata of their own choice. Kumite will be Shobu Ippon Jyu Kumite (free-sparring) for those 6th kyu and above. 7th kyu and below will have a simplified kumite option.
Events: Kata | Team Kata | Enbu | Kumite | Team Kumite
Medals: Custom medals are awarded to 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners
DATES & TIMES
Friday, April 20
..• 9-5pm | Judging Seminar – Jinsendo Karate
..• 3-6pm | Athlete Check-In – Marriott Hotel
..• 6-6:30pm | Tournament Draw – Jinsendo Karate
..• 6:30-9pm | Dan Exam – Jinsendo Karate
..• After exams | Buffet Dinner – Jinsendo Karate
………(for Judging Seminar & Dan Exam participants)
Saturday, April 21
..• 8am-1pm | Youth Tournament – Smyrna Community Center
..• 1-6pm | Adult Tournament – Smyrna Community Center
..• 7:30pm | Tournament Banquet – Jinsendo Karate
Join us at Jinsendo Martial Arts for a night of fun and a taste of Atlanta after the tournament. The banquet will feature one of Atlanta’s finest food trucks – Sweet Auburn BBQ, as well as Atlanta’s own King of Pops. Sweet Auburn’s average food truck cost per customer is $11 and King of Pops popsicles are $4 a piece (cash only for popsicles). Be a part of the night’s entertainment! Come prepared with a skit, song or joke to entertain your fellow karateka!
Sunday, April 22
• Noon | Hotel Check-Out
• Athletes: $75 (unlimited events)
• Judging Seminar $25
…..Required for all officials | Open to public
…..Participation is encouraged
…..(free to judges & athletes formally participating in the tournament)
• Free to Spectators
Marriott Galleria Atlanta Northwest
200 Interstate N Cir SE, Atlanta GA 30339
The group rate has now expired but check for rates at the link button above. There is no hotel shuttle from the airport or to the tournament location. Please plan to rent a car at the airport. The hotel is 23 miles/32 minutes from the ATL Airport and 3 miles/13 minutes from the tournament location (Smyrna Community Center).
Another Hotel alternative is
Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta Galleria
This is near the official hotel and some competitors are staying there.
Call or text: (612) 310-8247
Click to Download
FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE
Promote Your Business or Cheer for Your Athletes!
Please consider placing an ad or inspirational note in the Commemorative Tournament Program. The program is distributed for free to all attendees & spectators. Submit your ad or we can design a great ad for you for free.
1/4 Page ‐ $50 | 1/2 Page ‐ $75
Back Cover (full page) ‐ $150
Deadline: Friday, April 14
Just email Info@ShuhariInstitute.org and we’ll get started.
Smyrna Community Center
200 Village Green Circle SE, Smyrna GA 30080
Fly to ATL – Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport. The tournament and hotel are 30 minutes from the airport. We strongly suggest renting a car for the weekend as we do not have a shuttle service for the tournament.
April is spring in Atlanta and it’s a wonderful time to visit. The weather varies, but expect reasonable temps from 57°F to 84°F (14° to 29º C). Expect to wear warm-weather clothes, but bring a light jacket or sweatshirt.
Local Attractions – Tour the Coca-Cola factory, see behind the scenes of CNN, enjoy a thrilling adventure at Six Flags® Over Georgia Theme Park, explore Downtown Atlanta. CLICK for more ideas for fun outings with friends & family.
• Divisions for each event depend on the number of competitors and determined when registration is closed. Age & Rank Divisions may be split or combined depending on attendance.
• Youth athletes that are significantly smaller or bigger for their age may be entered into a different age group.
• Youth athletes may choose to compete in the Adult Tournament in Kata, Enbu, or Team Kata (not Kumite)
• Senior athletes (50+) may choose to compete in any 18-49 Adult Division.
• Athletes may perform any traditional karate kata of their choice.
• All competitors should come prepared to perform two different kata.
• Ranks 10-8th kyu only need to know Heian/Pinan Shodan and Youth and Kyu Rank Adults may perform ANY kata they choose from round-to-round.
• Adult Black Belts must perform a different kata in finals from that performed in their previous round.
• All Team Kata divisions allow mixed genders.
• Teams may consist of 3 or 4 competitors.
• Bunkai (application) is not required.
• Competitors may compete on only one Team Kata team.
• Age Division/Rank Category for teams are calculated by average age/rank of all team members.
• Teams must consist of 2 or 3 competitors.
• All Enbu teams allow mixed genders.
• Enbu performances must last between 55 and 65 seconds.
Jyu Ippon Kumite (one-step kumite)
• This event is for those 7th kyu and below and for young competitors with no free sparring experience.
• All divisions are mixed gender.
• One competitor performs 3 prescribed attacks and the defender blocks and counters each time.
• Attacks are: 1. Step-in Punch Head 2. Step-in Punch Stomach 3. Front Kick
• Competitors start from standing position and move to free-moving fighting stance after the referee commences each sequence.
• Scoring is by flags after both competitors have attacked and defended.
• Protective gear is not required for this event.
Jyu Kumite (free sparring):
• Matches follow traditional non-contact “Shobu Ippon” rules & procedures.
• No headgear, footpads, shoes, shin guards, or hard plastic/metal braces may be worn.
• Competitors must wear gloves like the ones available HERE.
• Ippon = 10 points / Wazari = 4 points / Keikoku Penalty = 2 points / Chui Penalty = 4 points
• Winner is declared with 1 Ippon OR 2 Wazaris OR the highest number of points at the end of the match.
• All matches are 1.5 minutes calculated using “action time” not “running time”.
• Standard eye glasses are not permitted. Competitors requiring prescription lenses to compete should wear protective sports eyewear.
• Jewelry of any type will not be permitted.
• Only soft hair accessories are permitted.
• Rolled or cuffed pants or sleeves are not permitted.
• Fingernails and toenails must be trimmed short.
• Hair must not impede the vision of the athlete.
• Chest protectors for women are optional.
• Mouth Guards, Kumite Gloves are required. .(order gloves here.)
• Groin Protectors (for boys & men) are required.
• Teams must consist of 3 competitors and may include one alternate.
• Teams free spar for 3 consecutive matches.
• Scoring is by cumulative points totaled at the end of all matches.
• Kumite Team Captain must turn in the names of teammates to the ring table including the alternate and the order they will be fighting. Once submitted, the list can only be changed if one athlete can’t continue and the alternate is needed.
• In case of a draw, team captains pick one member to break the tie; the match will be for one minute “Sudden Death” match – competitor scoring first is winner.
• Competitors may compete on only one Team Kumite team.
• Age Division/Rank Category for teams are calculated by average age/rank of all team members.
Dress Code: Traditional White Karate Gi | No rolled or cuffed pants or sleeves are allowed
• Mouth Guards are required for Jyu Kumite (free sparring) – a limited supply will be available at the event.
• Kumite Gloves are required for free sparring (not semi-free sparring) regardless of rank, age or sex.
…….>> Order official Kumite Gloves here
• Chest protector for women & groin protector for men are optional.
Dress Code: All judges are required to wear a Black Hakama over a White Traditional Karate Gi (please wear your karate belt under the hakama.) Judges wear no socks or shoes when judging.
Required Equipment: Whistle
• Youth Tournament: report to event by 8am for ring assignments
• Adult Tournament: report to event by Noon for ring assignments
• Judges officiating at the event must attend the Judges’ Seminar held before the tournament.
• Final selection of judges will be made during Judges’ Seminar held before the tournament.
Dress Code: Tournament T-Shirt (provided by Tournament) any pants, socks, & comfortable shoes.
Time Schedule: Report to your respective assignment at least 30 minutes prior to commencement. Volunteers working the entire day at the event will be provided a box lunch by the tournament.
Download Testing Requirements Here. The exam will be administered by Sensei Toru Shimoji and Sensei Amy Sperling of the Shuhari Technical Fellowship as well as a limited number of other examiners to be determined. Those interested in testing for Dan rank should contact Scott Parkin at (612) 310-8247 for a brief orientation on the process.
The examination fee is $132. Passing examinees will receive a hand-signed and sealed Shuhari dan certificate and lifetime registration with the Institute. If you don’t pass your exam, the Institute will apply a $44 certificate fee refund when you re-test in the future.
Results will be announced immediately following the exam. Examinees passing their Shodan exam during the event may choose to compete in either the Brown or Black belt division at the Tournament.